Everyday Thoughts

Monday, August 24, 2015

Paying the Cost and Living With the Mess

No one builds a house or renovates an older one without it costing something and there are always extra, unexpected things that are needed that raise the cost even more. The question becomes, “Are we willing to pay what will be required of us?” This is a question I’ve been wrestling with lately.

I’ve never wanted to build a new house. First of all, I prefer living in an older home with character and a story to it and, second of all, I don’t want the stress that’s particular to building something new, especially something that’s hard for me to envision since it doesn’t yet exist. I’m a visual learner and if I can’t envision something, I really struggle with grasping the concept. I fully believe that’s why God is gracious enough to speak to me in pictures. He knows how He made me and what I need in order to understand.

I love the idea of renovating that which is old, breathing life back into it, and finding its inner beauty, whether in a piece of furniture or in a home. It means even more to me if I can uncover a story connected to it and it has ties to other people. You can point out nearly anything in our home and I can tell you a story behind it. 

One of the challenges with renovating or refurbishing is the mess that it creates. When I refinish a piece furniture, I can keep the mess contained to a particular area, but when someone renovates a home, the mess seeps into everything as dust fills the air and goes into the vents and ducts. If it’s not properly sealed off from the rest of the house everyone and everything living in or in proximity to it gets covered in the mess.

Personally, I’m not one who likes things to be messy. I like order and cleanliness. I like everything to be in its place and I have a specific place for each item. Having our home be like that gives me a sense of security and peace and makes me feel as if I have a measure of control over at least some aspect of my life. Recently, Bri has taken great delight in rearranging my spice cabinet on me, just because he knows what my reaction will be when I find that my spices are no longer in alphabetical order. Welcome to OUR world…

Renovation isn’t easy. It totally disrupts “normal” life, nothing ever goes as planned and it generally ends up costing more than expected. I’m going to be completely honest. Sometimes I’m not sure if I want to pay the cost and have things get messy and out of control. I don’t necessarily want to be inconvenienced or have my comforts infringed upon and my life disrupted. There are times when I struggle with this, especially when it entails something that I really don’t know what sacrifices will be required to see the dream or vision fulfilled.

I really believe that those who renovate their homes or even build something entirely new are courageous. You have to be courageous to take the risk and give up control to Someone who’s qualified to do the job. There’s a certain degree of fearlessness that’s required to make the decision to be willing to pay the price of renovation and building, knowing it will cost more than you’ve been made aware that it will and that it will test you to the end of who you are and require complete surrender to your Carpenter. That’s a scary decision to make.  

What would motivate someone enough to begin the process? I think there are a lot of answers that can be given, but the one that I believe most answers would be founded on is love because so much comes as a result of relationship founded on love. Maybe the decision to renovate comes from knowing that a renovation would better the relationships that are dear to you, much the same as opening up the kitchen to connect with the family room to create a “great room” in which people could be together while meals are being made draws people closer to one another and deepens connections. In making the decision to allow personal renovation to occur, relationship connections can heal, deepen, or become enriched as we allow the work to happen within us.

Ultimately, I think much of it comes from the depth of relationship we share with our General Contractor, Architect, Carpenter, Designer – the ONE who fills all of those roles. When we are deeply connected to Him and love Him completely, we can trust Him, knowing that the plans He has are the very best plans to meet not only our needs, but also the needs of each of those who enter our “homes.” If we can surrender to His direction and be willing to go through the process, even knowing that it won’t necessarily be easy, we can take the risk, being fearless because we KNOW we are loved.

In her book, Birthing the Miraculous, Heidi Baker writes, “…you can be truly fearless only when you are in love – when you are immersed and yielded to the point that you do not care about the cost.”1

When your depth of love for your Creator deepens and you recognize that you are loved even more than He loves you, only the dream…the vision…the plans of the Architect that are rooted within your heart matter and the cost and mess that will ensue become inconsequential in the light of that great love.

When we really stop to think about it, any cost that we could make would pale in comparison to the One that was already paid for on our behalf.

Are you willing to be fearless in the face of this immeasurable love and be courageous enough, brave enough, to begin or continue on in the renovation process?


1.       Heidi Baker, Birthing the Miraculous, The Power of Personal Encounters with God to Change Your Life and the World (Lake Mary: Charisma House), 68.

No comments:

Post a Comment