Everyday Thoughts

Friday, January 2, 2015

An Invitation to Renovation

Sometimes when I think about myself, it’s with the eye of a flea market buyer. I see myself as one that has “good bones,” is “solid” and has potential. Like a good flea market find, I’ve  just needed to be stripped down, taken apart, reinforced in certain areas, put back together, recovered, polished…even made into something entirely new. It wasn’t enough to just be spit shined, cleaned up, and put back out on display because I wouldn’t have held together in the long run. There were too many cracks, imperfections, weak lines that would cause me to eventually fall apart (which has happened on countless occasions).

Like a grand, old house that had been designed with greatness in mind, then was used over and over by any number of inhabitants and even abandoned and left to fall into disrepair, I’ve become something much different than my Builder’s original design. Over the years, I made my own changes to the Architect’s original blueprint for my life – sometimes unwittingly; sometimes selfishly, purposefully…rebelliously. I’ve chosen not listen to the input of the Designer and I’ve allowed subpar craftsmen to come in and have their way with their own ideas and designs in my life, leaving their mark in ways that devalued me. I allowed it because I didn’t see the value in myself and I just wanted SOMEONE to see some kind of “beauty” in me….to desire me in some kind of way…. So, what once was solid, good craftsmanship that followed a grand plan, became cheapened, easily broken, scarred.

Once I recognized what condition I was in, I came to a decision. I knew I needed to allow the Master Craftsman to renovate – refurbish, repair, restore, mend, fix and revamp my life. I needed to be torn down to the original studs. Walls (lots of them) have needed to be torn down; opening me up, often creating new purposes for old spaces. It’s been painful, hard work, but just as the sheen of original wood is coaxed back to the surface of an object and beauty emerges, so has the process been in my life and continues to be because each day, the renovation process continues. Being honest….frustration has often mounted as I’ve been unable to see the end result and haven’t been able to envision the way things will look like one day. Yet…I have unshakeable trust in my Designer, Master Builder and General Contractor, so I allow them to have their way, even on the days when I just don’t understand what they’re doing.

This concept of a renovated life has been one that Bri and I have talked about and connected to our own lives for years, mainly because of all of the revelations that God has given to Bri through the very practical realm of his work. As a contractor, Bri has a depth of understanding in the area of construction that goes way beyond natural connections and experience. It’s a vehicle through which God has continued to show Bri practical applications of how He works in our lives, likening it to building or renovating a house. Hashing through these ideas in our conversations together has given us a better understanding of His work in our lives. At times, we’ve both fought against the process and at other times, we’ve welcomed it and even longed for more of it, trying to rush work that simply can’t be rushed. Each day we learn, most often from the mistakes that we make, and God graciously grants us a bit more wisdom from each failure.


We don’t have it all figured out – not even close to it, but we’ve discovered that being able to go through it with one another has given us the courage to allow the renovation process to continue. We’re no longer afraid to ask questions, to want explanations and to dig in to gain understanding, growing in the process. What we want to do with this blog is invite you to take part in the conversation and the process of renovation in your own life. When an entire community is restored, it’s revitalized and changes the course of generations to come. Will you join us? Let the renovating begin!

2 comments:

  1. Love the blog! My challenge is I tend to fix the "old" me with duct tape. Renovation appears to be a better strategy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate your honesty, willingness to shate, and your writing style!

    ReplyDelete