Everyday Thoughts

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Vantage Point

When I think about building a house, one of the first things that comes to my mind is the view. How will the house be positioned and what will I see out of each window in the house? I want to position it to make the most of its vantage point, affording me the best view possible no matter where I am in the home.

I’ve been thinking about vantage points in terms of people recently. God keeps drawing me to have a deeper understanding of His vantage point when He looks at people. Vantage point literally means, “a place or position affording a good view of something.” His view is so much different from mine. He sees us with such deep love. He looks past our flaws and He sees us as we were created to be, according to His original design for us. Through His unconditional love, He draws that original plan out from within us, bringing us into the fullness of our unique design. We have a choice to respond or not, remaining the same or allowing that love to change our hearts, transforming us from the inside out.

When I look at others, do I see a “good view” of them? Can I look past that which is unlovely in them? Can I look past it in myself?

Jesus hung out with sinners, tax collectors, and prostitutes. It was on these men and women that the church was built, but today, how many of us shun those we’ve determined to be sinners, especially when it comes to building the church? When is the last time any of us have loved the “objectionable” individuals in our midst. Can we see a leader within them? Can we look at an addict and see redemptively into their lives and souls, look beyond their current circumstances and see the greatness of His testimony within  them waiting to be drawn out? How is our house positioned? What do we see out of each window?

We’re called to love – even those…ESPECIALLY those…who don’t deserve it. The homeless, the addict, the prostitute, the pimp, the adulterer, the thief. Think of it… with one of His final breaths, Jesus loved the thief hanging beside Him and assured him of his place with Jesus in eternity.


Do we have that vantage point? I’m not there yet, but I’m working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment