Everyday Thoughts

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Mercy Triumphs Over Judgment

Over the last four months, God has been accomplishing a lot of renovation within my soul and spirit. He’s been knocking down walls, breaking open vaults filled with things I’d locked away, and opening passageways to hidden rooms within my heart that were meant to be filled with love instead of darkness. I’ve experienced anger and pain as I’ve worked through issues of abandonment, rejection, and even betrayal. My Father has lovingly ripped areas of my heart down to the studs so that it could be rebuilt with beauty and mercy.

Recently, this theme of mercy has been like a revolving door, coming round and round again, within my mind and filling my soul. The lyrics to Amanda Cook’s song, “Mercy,” have captivated me entirely.

My past embraced
My sin forgiven
I'm blameless in Your sight
My history rewritten

Cause You delight in showing mercy
And mercy triumphs over judgment

Oh Love, great Love
Fear cannot be found in You
And there will never be a day
You're uncertain of the ones you choose

So I will awake
And spend my days
Loving the One who has raised me up
From death to life
From wrong to right
You're making all things beautiful

As I worshipped to this song this morning, the thought came to me, “What IS mercy exactly?” I found that the meanings include “unfailing love, kindness, tenderness, and an outward expression of mercy.” To have mercy means to have an “active desire to remove distress, to show compassion, pity, and love.”

This is what Father God has done for me – shown me unfailing love, kindness, and tenderness and He has removed my distress. In the words of the song, my past has been embraced, my sin forgiven, I’m blameless before Him and my history has been rewritten.

Mercy is also what He delights in me showing to others – doing what I can to remove others’ distress, showing compassion, pity and love. It’s in that place that forgiveness can flow, just as it did when Jesus hung on the cross and said with all the love in His heart, “Father, forgive them for they do not know what they do.” (Luke 23:34)

Honestly, the idea of showing pity creates a struggle within me because I immediately think that pity is not what I would want another to have toward me; however, when I look at its meaning, I’m better able to embrace it. Pity defined is the feeling of sorrow and compassion caused by the suffering and misfortunes of others. I can instantly feel that way for others and often do when those whom I love are suffering. I’ve just never thought of it as pity before.  

As for others showing it toward me? Those who know me well know what I have been walking through and I know they’ve felt measures of sorrow and compassion for what I was suffering. Yet, they’ve also seen God holding me tightly in His embrace. They’ve seen His peace and grace enveloping me and protecting me as if I were surrounded by an impenetrable bubble. There is no pity in that – only sweet smiles of joy at the realization of His mercy bringing me healing and freedom.

I mentioned to Brian this morning that what was on my heart to write today really wasn’t connected in any way to a house. I couldn’t figure out a way to draw from a specific house-related theme and connect it to mercy. Bri immediately answered, “Houses have to be decorated. Why not decorate them with mercy?”

Why not? Mercy triumphs over judgment and our Decorator makes all things beautiful.


 *Definitions for “Mercy” taken from the Spirit Filled Life Bible, Nelson Publishing.
** Bethel Worship Live with Stephanie Gretzinger: "Mercy" & "The More I Seek You"

No comments:

Post a Comment